So anyone that wants to wait to go to college until after they have kids is a knucklehead. Go while you're young and you can enjoy it. Trust me, it's no fun when you have kids.
Anna and I have both continued on for our degrees after having one kid together, then two kids! What was I thinking? Why didn't I finish school already? It nevvveeerr ends! I'd have to say it's probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Especially since I was working full time at the same time. You are in a constant state of rush and stress. Schoolwork and work are stressful enough, but try and add 2 young kids on top of that. I honestly can't believe we made it without killing each other.
I have to thank all of my family that was there to support us. Our kids have 8 grandparents since both mine and Anna's parents are divorced and remarried. So we have had a lot of help when we've needed it. But they are not always there, and sometimes you have to write two term papers, a take home final, prepare 2 presentations (one for work and one for school), cook dinner, do laundry, put the kids to bed, change poopy diapers, all in a few days time. I thought Army basic training at Fort Lost in the Woods was hard, but that was nothing compared to being a parent in a busy house. At least in basic training you get some exercise, but about the same amount of sleep.
But it sure feels good when you finally get that degree. Yippee, now I can start living large right?But of course then you have to start paying back your student loans. UGH! Can I have a raise boss? Well, they told me it would pay off some day. I'm still waiting. Perhaps next week. I blame it on Bush. I think he is at the root of most of our troubles somehow. Probably.
WEll at least I have more time to watch football. If only I could get paid to watch football. Hmm. That would be a good gig. Perhaps I'm in the wrong profession.
Monday, December 17, 2007
college daze as a parent-don't do it..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You blogrolled me? How totally thoughtful! Thanks! Now I need to go scope out your blog some more.
ReplyDeletei blogrolled you cuz I like your blog. great stuff. keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete"Schoolwork and work are stressful enough, but try and add 2 young kids on top of that. I honestly can't believe we made it without killing each other."
ReplyDeleteTreasure each other. This is proof positive that you both chose well.
Well done, both of you!