Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy Holidays! It was a good year..


I just want to thank my family and neighbors for a great holiday. We celebrated Xmas 4 different times with 4 different families. Anna and I's parents are both divorced and remarried, so the kids have 4 sets of grandparents, a kids dream at the holidays. Needless to say the kids are spoiled rotten. They get at least 2-3 times the amount of stuff I used to get as a kid. I really appreciate the fact that the kids are close with all of their grandparents and they all have a very special relationship. I posted a new photo album from the holidays at picasa and piped it into this blog, a really cool feature since blogger is now integrated with google picasa I might add.

It's been a good year for us. I bought my first house ever - which was a miserable experience - but we are finally getting settled in. Our family was also very helpful in our move and every other aspect of our lives. The kids are healthy and happy, I finally graduated college (it only took me about 13 years since high school) and Anna is finishing her senior year at UMD as a philo major. We've been lucky to live next to some great neighbors that we've actually developed a great relationship with. Xavier was so sad to move away from Superior because we had the greatest neighbors there. But now we have a new great neighbor that has been very helpful with our move and welcoming us to the neighborhood. Thanks again!

I think this is something you just don't see in today's America anymore. When I was a kid I remember everyone in the 'hood knowing everyone else in the 'hood. We were always looking out for each other and each other's kids. That's a rarity in today's world. At least judging from my experience it has been. Everyone seems to be wrapped up in their self-absorbed cyber world. (I'm even guilty of that at times. I am a techno geek, but I try not to let it consume my life.)

I'm torn between a love for technology and a sadness about it at the same time. It seems to bring people around the world closer together, but it brings communities further apart. People stay indoors now trying to connect with the rest of the world instead of going outside and playing street hockey or football with their neighbors. It's transforming into a more digital society. There are many philosophical theories that say technology is at the root of all our problems. The constant struggle to automate things has actually created a much more complex, impersonal world to live in. Perhaps I'll expand on this in another post.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment