I haven 't posted in a while because things have been a little crazy around here lately and my mind has been elsewhere. I'm starting a new job on the 24th. I got offered a job as a Systems Admin for St. Mary's Medical Center here in Duluth. I'm really excited about it for a few reasons. First, they offered me about 50% more than I'm making now, which is sweet! I can finally afford to actually pay the bills I have. At least for a while. I'm told the more you make, the more you spend. I'm curious to see how long it takes us to waste away all that extra income. It's strange to think that I'm sustaining everything now on my fairly meager pay. Well, it's meager for a family of4 anyways. I'm the only source of income since Anna is still finishing up her degree in Philosophy. (Then we can all start living the easy life, because we all know the kick ass high roller jobs you can get with a philo degree.) So times have been pretty tight for a long time. It sure is going to be nice to have a little head way. There's also a lot more opportunity there than where I work now.
but then there is the stress of starting that new job. I'll be the new guy. I'll be doing a lot more specialized work then I have in the past. I'll be concentrating mostly on administering Citrix servers running on top of Windows. For the past few years, I've been kind of a jack of all trades IT guy at the newspapers I've been working for. It will be a big change for me to concentrate on just one system. I'm both excited and a little nervous. I'm going from an IT department of 6 people to one of over 200 people. A little fish in a big pond. Not what I'm used to. But sometimes change is good.
I'm hoping for the best.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hang on in there ... I know you can do it. It sure is stressful in a new job during the probation period. I am actually in one too and if you have the wrong managers, you feel so screwed up when they are less kind. But, if they hired you then both are responsible to make it happen. It should work that way. Few realize that. You need to be married and be a parent to know commitment and sacrifice can only show the best results from 2 parties giving and supporting each other.
ReplyDeletehttp://daddyparentingtips.blogspot.com/